The "MS Shell Dlg" Mystery (Solved)
If you haven’t noticed (and are using a PC), the headlines on this blog should now be rendered using the MS Shell Dlg font [I've since changed this and have been experimenting with custom fonts via @font-face, but all information in this post still applies otherwise.] I learned about this font just now after trying to figure out why tadalist.com‘s input fields were rendering using it instead of the fonts specified in the CSS rule. I’m still unsure why the computed style lists MS Shell Dlg as the font since its never explicitly specified nor is the the default, but it is. (If you know why this is, drop a comment below.)
Anyhow, I really like the way this font looks at 20+ pixels and bolded, so its the new style for the (H2) headers. If you’re on a Mac, you should see Helvetica and since that font carries mad clout complaints will be appropriately ignored.
OK, I’m off to read more about this, starting here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282187
Just read it. A very intriguing quote from that page: “It is not a font but a face name for a nonexistent font.” What? Its definitely a font and after testing all of the usual suspects, I’m still unsure which one. Bizarre.
I found the answer on this page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd374112%28VS.85%29.aspx. The font that MS Shell Dlg maps to on all versions of Windows since Windows 2000 is “Microsoft Sans Serif”. But I’m guessing that using MS Shell Dlg in the CSS rule instead makes more sense since it will map properly on other versions of Windows, and since its a shorter rule. Though, specifying “Microsoft Sans Serif” explicitly, followed by more common fonts would make for a better rule and ensure no further surprises.
All this said, I’m still not sure why tadalist.com’s input fields are rendering in this font.
Since writing this post, I’m noticing this font substitution taking place more often. For example, Twitter‘s login input fields behave the same way, as does the h2 tag on Dictionary.com. What all of these have in common is that they specify the first font name in quotes (presumably since it contains multiple words) and it happens to be a font that I don’t have installed. While quotes should be permitted in such cases and are even encouraged by some, I find that its not necessary and here appears to not have the intended effect.